Springfield Pet Pharmacy
Medication for Animals
Our pets can benefit from medication just like we can, provided it is the right kind of drug that was designed specifically for them. At the Pet Medical Center of Springfield Pharmacy, we stock an extensive drug inventory. Medications can be easily dispensed before you leave the clinic.
Some of the medications that we offer include:
- Prescription medications
- Heartworm prevention
- Nutritional supplements
- Routine pet care and grooming products
- Premium quality therapeutic diets
Make sure you follow the vet’s instructions for when and how to give your animals pills. Maintaining a regular medication schedule is very important for their health and wellbeing!
Tips for Medicating Your Pets
Getting a dog or cat to swallow a pill is not easy. They don’t understand why they need it and only see it as unappetizing food. There are several strategies and tricks you can use to get your pet to take their needed medication.
Try one of the following if you are having a hard time giving your pet their medication:
- Mix the medication in with a handful of treats.
- Roll the medication up in some food that they don’t normally get to eat.
- If your pet has to take medication without food, you can hold their mouth open and place the pill in the back of the throat. Then hold their mouth closed and wait for them to swallow. This is how most vets get it done, so be sure to ask them how to perform the technique.
- Shake up a bag of food during normal feeding time to make your pet come running, then slip the pill in with their regular food.
- Pets that are very clean will sometimes lick up the medication up if you place it on their paws.
Some pets are very picky and still won’t take their medication even when it is hidden in food. If you are having trouble, call us today at (703) 454-8189 to ask for help. Our team does this all the time and can provide you with valuable advice.
Nearly 50 Years of Service to this Community
For nearly five decades Pet Medical Center of Springfield has been offering comprehensive and compassionate care to your beloved pets.
Offering Emergency Care
We understand how scary it can be when your pet is having a medical emergency, put their paws in our capable hands.
Highest Quality of Care
At the Pet Medical Center of Springfield facility, we are proud to have a state-of-the-art veterinary clinic equipped to provide the highest quality medical care for your beloved pets.
“Thank you for everything you did- you are truly amazing caregivers!”- M. Murphy
“I cannot tell you how much all of you meant to me getting me through the recent illness of my cat. You were all so kind and compassionate.”- D. Chang
“Thank you for taking such good and loving care of Frank!”- T. MacNaboe